Are you thinking about hiring an attorney? If you are, you don’t want to hire just any old lawyer, and this is why you will want to ask a few questions before hiring one. With that said, below are five questions you should ask before hiring a lawyer.
1. Have They Handled Similar Cases – You don’t want to hire an attorney who has never handled your kind of case in the past. While it’s true that every single case is unique, many cases do bear similarities. If the attorney tells you they have handled your type of cases, then you will want to ask how many and if those cases when to trial and what their success rate was. You want to hire a lawyer who has worked on a few cases similar to yours and you want to hire one that has a good success rate.
2. Have They Ever Been Sanctioned – Hiring a lawyer who has been sanctioned or accused of attorney misconduct is not exactly the smartest move to make, and this is why you want to ask an attorney if they have ever been sanctioned for attorney misconduct. You can find out this information by going online, but the attorney should tell you the answer if you ask them. If they tell you they have been sanctioned in the past, find out why and then you can determine whether or not they are still worth hiring. Remember, just because they have been sanctioned or accused of misconduct does not mean they are not a good lawyer.
3. What Kind Of Strategy Will They Create – Make sure you book an initial consultation with the attorney you may potentially hire, and during the meeting you will want to ask what kind of strategy they will create for you. Don’t expect a solid answer though, but a good lawyer will give you a general idea of what they will likely do for you. This is because the attorney doesn’t really know a whole lot about your case or situation and you have not formally hired them, but they should be able to provide you with some general information regarding strategy, or provide you with examples of strategies they used in past cases.
4. How Will They Communicate With You – It doesn’t matter how big or small your case is, communication between you and your lawyer is crucial. This is why you want to ask a lawyer how they will communicate with you and how often you can expect to be in communication with one another. Knowing how often and how you will communicate with your attorney can put you more at ease about your case, so make sure this is one of the questions you ask a prospective attorney.
5. How Much Do They Charge – One of the most important questions to ask an attorney is how much do they charge and how do they go about charging you. For example, some attorneys may want their fees upfront, while others may work out a payment plan. If your case involves bringing forth a lawsuit, many attorneys won’t charge you anything unless they win your case. Regardless of the type of case you’re involved in, you will want to know how much you will have to pay your prospective lawyer.
There are a lot of other questions you will want to ask an attorney before hiring them. However, the five questions above should be the first questions you will want to ask them. If you’re satisfied with the answers to those questions, then you should consider hiring them to handle your case.Read More